Teenagehood is a time of growth, experimentation, and exploration, but it is also the most vulnerable period in adolescent life. While trying out different things, teens find themselves using drugs and taking alcohol. The National Institute on Drug Abuse disclosed that 31.3% and 19.5% of 10th graders misused alcohol and cannabis in the past year. Not every adolescent is tolerant, and those who find using soothing will continue, unaware that they are plunging into future dependence.
Navigating this journey of teen addiction as a parent or guardian is challenging. Family therapy can offer adequate support to help these young ones recover and live more fulfilling lives.
BNI Treatment Centers is a teen mental health treatment center that can help you and your family overcome mental health struggles. Contact our admissions team today to learn more about our behavioral health treatment for teens.
Family Therapy in Addiction Treatment Explained
Family therapy is one of the best ways to help adolescents cope with substance addiction and mental health issues. Family therapy, also called family counseling in some health settings, is psychotherapy that involves the entire family members. It addresses any existing family conflict by improving communication between members. Family therapy understands that an individual’s problems can’t be fully resolved without addressing the family dynamics, as these issues are often rooted in how members relate.
In teen behavioral healthcare treatment, family therapy recognizes that addiction affects the entire family. Therefore, it provides a platform for members to talk openly, understand the root cause of addiction, and get educated on healthy ways to promote healing and lasting recovery.
Why Family Therapy in Teen Addiction Treatment?
Research has shown the effectiveness of family therapy in teen addiction and mental health treatment, such as helping to address family conflicts like substance addiction and helping families work through issues under the guidance of a counselor. Other benefits of this therapy include:
- It strengthens family relationships and helps members communicate more effectively and openly about the effects of addiction and recovery
- It helps members navigate dire situations that may have contributed to the substance abuse in their young ones
- Family therapy fosters empathy among members and helps them understand the battles the teenagers face. This newfound understanding can build a more supportive environment
- Family therapy equips families with the tools and resources to support their young one’s recovery. It educates members about addiction, relapse prevention, and coping methods, leading to lasting sobriety
The benefits of family therapy are immense. It can help teens recover and resolve issues members are scared to discuss.
The Process of Teen Family Therapy Rehab in Addiction Treatment
Teen family therapy uses a comprehensive approach to teen addiction treatment. It acknowledges teens’ unique challenges in addiction recovery and involves the family to support them to foster quick recovery. Once the family decides to go for family therapy, the process starts as follows:
- Evaluation: The therapist evaluates the family’s dynamics and their specific challenges. They aim to uncover anything that may have caused addiction in the teen.
- Education: The counselor educates the family about substance abuse and recovery, helping members understand the situation and make them stay prepared.
- Improving communication: Therapy sessions will help family members be more open and communicative, ensuring everyone’s voices are heard.
While family therapy in teen addiction is highly successful and effective, it’s not without challenges. Resistance, denial, and flaring emotions may be evident in sessions. Families must be aware of these challenges and address them with the help of a trained counselor to ensure success.
Tips for a Better Success in Family Therapy
Families wanting to try family therapy should know that sessions may heat up and members will have diverse opinions. To stay prepared and have a successful outcome, here are a few tips to bear in mind:
- Be welcoming and sincere during sessions
- Listen actively to everyone’s perspective and avoid being judgemental
- Be ready to learn and grow together as one family
- Ensure ongoing communication about recovery
BNI Treatment Center Offers Family Therapy for Teens in Addiction Treatment
Family therapy is a practical and comprehensive approach that can help teens in addiction treatment. It analyzes family dynamics, allowing each member to understand the consequences of addiction and how they can contribute meaningfully to their teen’s recovery. Family therapy promotes understanding, healing, and open communication within the family, leading to a better future.
Finding the right family therapist is something you should take time to look into. Rushing into the decision might impact your mental health in the long run. A family therapist is one that the family should feel comfortable with, as this will encourage honest conversations and true healing can be fostered. At BNI Treatment Centers, our family therapists are welcoming and help families understand addiction and explain how they can support their teens. Our family therapy program is well-equipped to actualize lasting results.